The Public Impact Fundamentals is a framework we’ve developed for thinking about the key elements that most influence the impact of government initiatives.
There are three Fundamentals:
- Legitimacy: Underlying support for an objective and the attempts to achieve it
- Policy: Quality of policies intended to achieve impact
- Action: Translation of policies into real-world effect which collectively contributes to its performance
Measure your own initiatives and policies against the three fundamentals
But how do you go about measuring your own initiatives and policies against the fundamentals? Well, we’ve put together a diagnostic tool to help you do just that.
Our diagnostic tool is based on CPI proprietary research:
- Public Impact Fundamentals – a framework for thinking about the elements that most influence the impact of government initiatives
- Observatory of case studies – a collection of more than 250 case studies assessed using the Fundamentals rubric
From these, we are able to assess how impactful an initiative will be, based on how well it ranks against the Fundamentals.
Using our diagnostic tool you can evaluate whether your initiative has all the key elements that typically lead to more impactful policies. It also helps you improve on weaknesses and maintain strengths, maximising the chances of the initiative achieving public impact.
DOWNLOAD THE DIAGNOSTIC TOOL
We have also developed a tool to help you visualise your assessment of a policy. Our Fundamentals Map allows you to see a map of your policy against the Fundamentals to illustrate areas of strength and areas for improvement. This tool can be used to map out the assessment of a single policy or, multiple policies trying to achieve the same objective, to compare and contrast potential initiatives.
DOWNLOAD THE FUNDAMENTALS MAP
We’d love to get your feedback using the diagnostic tool. Get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know the outcome measuring your own initiatives and policies against the three fundamentals.
- Getting the Fundamentals right: How CPI helps governments. We believe that the touchstone for any government should be the results it achieves for its citizens. Katie Rose takes a closer look at how our fundamentals help governments achieve results.
- Public Impact Labs. Need to radically rethink your approach to tackling a policy problem? Our Public Impact Labs offer a new way of thinking about and tackling your toughest policy puzzles.
- Professional Development. Our Professional Development workshops provide hands-on training to learn about and apply the Public Impact Fundamentals to help you design and deliver impactful policies that last.
- Global Case Studies. Explore our unique database of case studies on how others have achieved positive change and learn how we can create bespoke case studies based on the impact you are trying to achieve.
- Challenges & Competitions. Having worked with Bloomberg Philanthropies on the Mayors Challenge and with many other organisations around the world, we’ve got the experience to help your bold ideas deliver impact at scale.
- Legitimacy Principles & Practices. Making impact is great, but what do you do if there’s a gap between you and the people you’re trying to help the most? We’ve proven that Legitimacy is a key ingredient in achieving public impact, and we understand what needs to be done to build better relationships with citizens and rebuild trust.